Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 2015 13:49:57 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS passdevgonecb

On 19/06/2015 18:41, Da Rock wrote:
> Ok, top posting as a summary really - numerous threads of thought
> going on now.
>
> First, that ggatel and mountver workaround - how does zfs take that?
> Is it possible zfs will have a dummy spit if this is between it
> writing to the drive? I'd assume not given it can use a md device as a
> vnode, but doesn't hurt to ask.
>
> Second, I've tried another drive and still the same issue;
> also.swapped cable, and still errors. So a controller test would be
> ideal - or a new system is in order :)
>
> Third, that consumer/raid drive difference seems a bit dodgy doesn't
> it? :) Appears they're basically forcing you to pay up for the
> privilege... wouldn't surprise me! Regardless, though, how does that
> stack up in an ordinary situation? I doubt you'd have a raid certified
> drive in a desktop to play games or edit home movies, and in that
> scenario it would spak out as the only drive in the system and
> probably crash, wouldn't it? Or am I not thinking it through properly?
> Possible given the amount of sleep I've had lately...
>
> Thanks for the brainstorming help guys.
Something to add to this conundrum - pity it couldn't tell me this
earlier...

cam_periph_alloc: attempt to re-allocate valid device pass1 rejected
flags 0x18 refcount 1
passasync: Unable to attach new device due to status 0x6: CCB request
was invalid

Searching these terms (last one I see a lot with umass myself) it seems
this is quite common for most, so why is this mostly ignored? Or so it
seems...

I also can't seem to grasp the precise meaning of the particular errors
- the flags and error codes that is.

This appears to be more than a zfs spit either as you can see - this
affecting smartd as well, and seems to be low level. FWIW there is no
noticeable difference in firmware either.