Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 01:33:40 +0000
From:      "Johan Granlund" <johang@algonet.se>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA2940UW with nonultra disks broke.

> The problem is that the 5.7MHz syncrate seems to be invalid when in Ultra
> mode.
Correcti think, according to the BIOS. Minimum syncrate is 10MHZ

> The fix I'm working on now is to dynamically enable/disable ultra
> mode on a per device basis so that the entire range of sync rates are
> availible to all devices.

Great, wonder why Adaptec wasn't thinking of that?

>  Although the driver worked before, it was
> improperly reporting 10MHz when the setting really resulted in 5MHz (Not
> all settings are clock doubled when in Ultra mode).

Maybe i was unclear, but the target 0 disk is a fast/narrow SCSIdevice and
should sync at 10MHZ. The dmesg output was from the adapter in
NON-ULTRA mode. When in Ultra mode the SCSI bus was hanging after the
driver had put out the "speed" line.

I also have a DAT tape that is sync. on 5MHZ (i didn't know that at
first). When setting the adapter in Ultra mode the driver correctly
said that 5.0 MHZ was to low and set it for async (4MHZ). Ok what is
a MHZ between friends. The problem was that when i was trying to use
the tape the driver went nuts and tried to fallforward to 5MHZ sync.
Lots of complaints of course. This was before the last patches and i
haven't tried it again.

I'm perfectly willing to do so and send the output to you if you want to.

> Unfortunately, the
> documentation on how the aic7880 works in Ultra mode was unavailible when I
> did the work and the information I used came to me through "unofficial"
> channels.  Now that the documentation is availible, my copy is still
> on back order. 8-(

That figures. Why send dokumentation to developers :-)

> --
> Justin T. Gibbs
>   FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations

Internet: Johang@Algonet.se