Date:      Fri, 26 May 1995 09:06:30 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        cs.weber.edu!terry@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD.org!current@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, blaise.ibp.fr!roberto@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: newfs weirdness...

>In the absence of information to the contrary, for an IDE drive it seems
>to me that the best available information is that which is supplied by the
>drive.  Barring that, what is in the disklabel is next best.  I can't
>possibly see why a 4096/1 geometry is going to be uniformly better than
>these other choices.  Plus you have to go to extra trouble to avoid
>wasting sectors and getting the warning message.

It's better because 4096 is larger than the average fake cylinder.  (This
will probably change when disks get larger - all disks will have 1024
heads, 256 sectors and 63 sectors; larger disks will be unstriped and
everyone will complain about the 8GB limit :-]).

Sectors on the fake cylinder after the last full fake cylinder (if any)
are wasted anyway.  The standard seems to be to not document such
sectors for IDE, but you may be able to use them by picking a different
geometry or by setting the partition table and labels to cover them.
Using the 4096/1 geometry increases the wastage:

- if 4096 is large, then the average wastage is larger.
- if the original fake cylinder size is not a divisor of 4096, then
  rounding twice to a fake cylinder boundary increases the wastage
- the original fake cylinder size may be chosen to be minimise the
  wastage.  This is likely iff it is not a divisior of 4096.

Bruce