Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:54:20 -0400
From:      Steven Yang <syang@DIRHIT.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   memory question

Hi, I am working with gdbm, and would like to create very large files
(hopefully more than 1GB).  Unfortunately, I have run into a problem
where no process seems to be able to use more than 16MB of RAM.  gdbm
gives me the following error message:

gdbm fatal: malloc error

I then decided to write a program that did a malloc of 16MB and 17MB,
and the malloc of 16MB succeeded, but the malloc of 17MB failed.  I also
wrote a program that did a malloc of 16MB and 1MB at the same time,
which also failed.  It appears that there is a default limitation of
16MB of RAM per process, and although we tried setting MAXMEM in the
configuration file (taken from a LINT option) to 128MB (the RAM in our
system), the tests still failed (yes, we recompiled the kernel).  How do
I get around this limitation?  Furthermore, must gdbm load the whole
database into memory in order to insert a record?

- Steven Yang