Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 20:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        schluntz@pinpt.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exec format error, Wrong Architecture... Help?

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>when trying to run a Linux application (xquake for example ;) or the
>Willows Windows emulator for Linux I get

>./xquake: Exec format error.  Wrong Architecture.

>I followed the directions and added the lines to the Kernel and
>recompiled and installed.  Linux is set to yes in the boot and is loading
>as a module.

I could be wrong, but I think that this is because the binaries in
question are ELF format, and I presume you're running this on 2.1.5,
which doesn't have ELF support in it.  2.2current does have ELF
support, so you may need to run that, or port the ELF stuff to 2.1.5
(which is not for the faint-hearted, I'd imagine, although if you do
get it working, I'd like to mooch off of you :) ).

To test 2.1.5's linux emulation support, you can run abuse for linux,
which works fine and is quite fun, and also available on
ftp.cdrom.com. :)

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/