Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:29:23 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 21:03:21 +0100
"Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org> wrote:
> 	How else should you be when someone does something for free and
> gives away the result ? At a free barbecue would you complain that they
> didn't have your favourite sauce or might you provide a bottle for others
> to enjoy as well ?

It's how you complain of course.

If I mention in an offhand way "Damn, no hot buffalo sauce, oh well", that's not
really actionable and a kind host might even say something like "Oh I
have some of that in the back, let me get you some".

What I will always take issue with is: given someone who politely (incorrect or
not) files a bug or issue and gets ignored anyway; the moment they speak
up, you call them rude. :) I think this is just a difference of opinion between
you and me and it's not a big deal, but it does come up.

> 	You're only part of a community if you take part in it.

FreeBSD sets an extremely high bar for "taking part in it". Ignoring valid bug
reports unless you make the proper signs to all directions, sacrifice the right
goat, and recite the correct incantation is not "inviting you to take part in
it". It's "religion".

It could even be interpreted as "go away you stupid pig dog".
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave@dream-tech.com

While you use thoughts which attract or repulse you only
for purposes of stimulation, you are only half alive.

You are also cooperating in keeping yourself in good
training to be conditioned by others.