Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:24:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sox in 7.1 broken or corrupt?

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com> wrote:
>
>> It appears to me the audio/sox port is broken.  During configure the
>> screen breaks up with a bunch of ANSI garbage.  This happens again with
>> the compile which seems to halt in sox.c with the message EOF in backtick
>> operator.
>
> Giving this a quick try on -CURRENT and with all dependencies
> disabled, I don't see it.  sox configures and builds fine.
>
> If you build sox in a script(1) session and inspect the typescript
> with less(1) afterwards, you should be able to see where configure
> starts going wrong.

Oh, I see.  The config script looks for something it calls "distro name" in
/etc/issue .  I don't think this is the right way to get this information;
my understanding was that /etc/issue could be used for any pre-login message
(as motd is the post-login message).  Surely uname is the right way to get
what the configure script wants.  At any rate, /etc/issue contained, amoung
other things an ANSI portrait of Beastie, which does have a few odd
backticks in it.  I just did not recognise it as the script rendered it all
squashed.

Well, I can fix this up to build sox (the fix is as simple as renaming the
existing /etc/issue -- sox will build if the file does not exist), but I
think the config script is sloppy and I haven't seen this on any other
ports.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html