Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 21:29:44 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <sh@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        "James A.Taylor" <jataylor@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp, getty and automatic baud rate detection

> I just tried logging in via a regular dial-up
> terminal application rather than ppp and found
> that at 19200 I get a login prompt however at
> other speeds all I get is garbage characters.

okay, your modem is set to switch com port speed to the
actual line speed. I would take a wild guess that it may have
been used in a wildcat or pcboard bbs before to have been
set in that way :) You'll need to play with the nonvolatile
ram settings in the modem and get it to use the more
standard "fixed com port speed" config and then std.115200
should be fine. Until you do this, I think the only speeds
you'll ever see are 300/1200/2400/4800/9600/19200.