Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:31:11 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinsman <nathank@mentisworks.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ensuring packet defragmentation in FreeBSD?

Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from James Wyatt, sie said:
> >
> > I've been looking at sevral programs to help test client setups and
> > learning how they work. I noticed in the nmap manpage, it states:
> >
> >       "...this method won't get by packet filters and firewalls that
> >       queue all IP fragments (like the CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG option
> >       in the Linux kernel),..."
> >
> > Does FreeBSD queue packet fragments and/or reassemble them in a way I can
> > detect this probing by fragmented packets? Which files should I look in?
>
> You don't really want to do this anyway...the current maintainer of
> the linux firewalling code has made some nasty comments about the
> side effects of this behaviour.

I have found the following rule used with Darren's IPFilter to be a
usefull alternative:

# Block any packets which are too short to be real.
block in quick all with short

If you use Snort NIDS software, you can also use this rule to alert you
to small fragments:

preprocessor minfrag: 128

Both IPFilter and Snort run very well, with low overhead on FreeBSD.

> Darren

Nathan Kinsman