Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:42:53 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mass SMS

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 06:24:35PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I have a few hundred VIP clients (yes, some are more VIP than others)
> who I'd like to notify, via SMS, whenever we have any network problem
> and also immediately such a problem is resolved.

I would use Nagios, ports/net-mgmt/nagios, http://www.nagios.org/, and
setup a contact for each VIP.  Then you can notify only the VIPs that
are affected by a particular problem.  For example: if some of your
VIPs are in Washington State, they probably don't want to know about
problems in Virginia....  They might even get mad at you if you sent
them notifications for issues they don't care about, especially at 2am.

You can define contact groups for Washington, Virginia and global.
Contacts can exist in more than one contact group.  The only hard part
is generating the config file.  But that should be easily scripted since
Nagios can use multiple config files.

Acknowledgements that a techincian is working on the problem are sent as
notifications to all contacts by default.

For SMS notification without just using someone else's e-mail<-->SMS
gateway, use QPage, ports/comms/qpage, http://www.qpage.org/.  However,
some companies are beginning to charge for modem access to their SMS
gateways.  The e-mail<-->SMS gateways are great so long as not all of
your connections to the Internet are down.

There are other options for SMS, whichever option you pick should be
possible to tie into Nagios.

lambert@lambertfam.org