Date:      Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:57:16 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Antonio Carlos Venancio Junior <antonio@php.net>, Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   [HEADS UP] PHP and PEAR updates and changes

Hello all PHP addicted people,
many of you in the recent past days asked me "When PHP 5.1 will hit the
tree? I really need it!" and my reply was "When I can commit the update
without breaking all the pear ports :-)".
Now I'm ready to do it. I've removed the pear bootstrap code from the
php ports and created a new independent pear port. This means a massive
change to the pear infrastructure and obviously on all pear modules ports.
Thierry Thomas greatly helped me in testing the new system and discover
the bugs, thanks!
Once the new pear system hit the tree, I will update php5 to 5.1.1 release.
You can check out:
1) the new pear port
    http://www.alexdupre.com/php/pear-port.tar.gz
2) the massive diff to pear related ports
    http://www.alexdupre.com/php/pear.diff.gz
3) the changes to php4 and php5 ports
    (use of bsd.apache.mk along with the update to 5.1.1)
    http://www.alexdupre.com/php/php.diff.gz
and tell me ASAP if you have *very strong* motivations to delay the
commit (i.e. serious regressions to the current ports tree).
"I tried it and it works great!" is also appreciated ;-)
The pear changes (1 + 2) have been tested with php 4.1.1, 5.0.5 and
5.1.1. If you don't use pear but you like to test the PHP update you can
download only the third .gz (3).

--
Alex Dupre