Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:45:19 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        michael@tenzo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs. domestic tranquility...

I assume you've configured NAT as well, and that you've checked that
the NAT rule shows up in a listing (ipfw list), and that the natd
arguments match your requirements?

If not, you'll be squishing your internal traffic with the rules
immediately after the natd stuff, which should be obvious if you
look at the rule counters (ipfw show)...

Personally, I prefer to log almost everything I deny so I can see
where traffic is being stopped, particularly when I'm first setting
things up.  Once things are working to my satisfaction I selectively
disable some logging (but not much--I have a lot of disk space and
know how to use grep).

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319