Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:49:48 -0800
From:      Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

At 04:04 PM 3/8/99 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>Hmmm.  Such a page would tell a pretty sad story, which is why I think
>nobody has tried such a thing yet. :(

Why do you say that Jordan?

I've run Solaris x86, Linux 5.1/5.2, and FreeBSD 2.2.8 on my Thinkpad, and
by far I have to say that FreeBSD runs the best. It took me a few tries to
get the PCMCIA working, but I know have it setup so that it will allow me
to use a 3Com 589D, and switch between a Motorola Montana, or Adaptec SCSI
(1460A). I haven't done a very complete testing yet, but that part seems to
be working fine.

>For an example of what I mean,
>I just tried to bring up 3.1-RELEASE on a fairly standard Digital
>HiNote laptop with 3COM 3C589D PCCARD NIC and it failed to work at
>all.  If you power the laptop up with the card inserted, it says
>"Driver allocation failed for ep0"

Could it be that the memory changed by default, that message will come up
if you either have something configured incorrectly or have the irq hard
coded in the configuration file for the kernel.

I haven't tried 3.x yet and not really wanting to as 2.2.8 is running fine
for me, and I see no real reason to take a hit on SMP support for a single
processor laptop.

>(or words to that effect, the box
>not sitting in front of me at the moment) and if you try a
>hot-insertion, it either completely fails to notice the insertion
>event at all (this now appearing to be a general problem with pccardd)
>or it notices but still fails to do anything useful with it.  Same
>setup used to work in 2.2.8, sadly enough.

Check the irq settings in the kernel config. I ended up setting mine so
that the irq was the same for the two I wanted to hot-plug.

Linux is by far the easiest to get working on a laptop, in my experience.
It's also my least favorite form of *ix to run on a pc.

Without seeing how the config file is for the kernel in 3.1, I can't
compare, but it seems that something must have changed by default.

I have a hard time believing that the code could regress so much, at least
in regards to what you have stated. I know you are much more familiar with
the code than I am, but there seems to be something that was changed in
which either the pccard didn't change also, or that the pccard changed in
some way that exposes these problems.

What type of laptops are you running on?

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.
aland@SoftOrchestra.com