Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:51:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lgk@eiche.bik-gmbh.de>
To:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3927: xview library fails on -current and on 2.2.x

> >  * The "notifier: bad file number" message and subsequent segmentation
> >  * fault still occurs on any xview-lib client if the 2.2.2- built
> >  * xview-lib package is used. But this error only shows if the process
> >  * uid is zero, i. e.  if you launch the xview application as root.
> >
> > Really?  I saw this before when I was running workman as non-root.
>
> Puh--finally someone else saw this phaenomenon! I already started
> to believe seeing things :-) It was just me and someone from
> the questions list that reported this xview-lib problem and everyone
> else said: ''works fine on my system''.

Well, that looks quite more complicated to me:
After an upgrade to 2.2.2-RELEASE I saw all xview clients crashing
in notify_start() quite independent on the uid. Curiously this
does not happen if the programs are called in the CDE - so far
the uid is not 0. ;-)
The crashes are caused by a damaged stack, the return address
from (randomly different) functions called by notify_start()
is 0x0. The proplems arose without installing new xview binaries,
even the libs were the same which could be used under 2.2.1-RELEASE
flawlessly.

I tried that with XF86-3.3 libs, older 3.2 libs and the X libraries
delivered with CDE 1.0.10, I reinstalled and rebuilt the xview libs
and clients - the scarcely desired behaviour does not change.

BTW, since installing 2.2.2-RELEASE kaffe is crashing, but haven't
yet spent any time to investigate it.
And not to forget all that happens only on a single machine. I can access
several others running 2.2.2-RELEASE, where all xview applications
and kaffe work as expected.

Happy investigations :-)

	Lars