Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 14:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        thought@teleport.com (Alan Danker)
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: supported configurations

> Here is a hardware list for a system I want to put together to run freeBSD
> on.  Does anyone see any potential problems with these components?  I can be
> flexible, since it isn't bought yet.

> Pentium 90 Mhz Intel Triton Chipset 256KB Cache, Built-in PCI IDE Controller,

AFAIK, there's no support for EIDE yet.

[...]

> Diamond Stealth PCI 1MB SVGA Card

Are Diamond products still considered problematic?

> SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Card

Can't comment on this one.

> Seagate 1.08GB IDE Hard Drive
> Creative Labs 4X CD-ROM Kit: Panasonic Quad-Speed CD-ROM Drive

IMHO, you'd be happier with SCSI - the NCR PCI adapters can be had
_very_ cheaply, and they're quite a bit more efficient than IDE.  I
assume the Triton supports the NCR.

> SoundBlaster 16 Sound Card.

Should be no problems here.

> Microsoft Serial Mouse.

You might want to consider a 3 button mouse like Mouse Systems or
Logitech - it makes working within XFree a bit easier.

> 32 or 64 MB RAM.

64MB?  Must be nice to be rich.  :)