Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:30:14 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        "Alexander N. Kabaev" <kabaev@mail.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the best gcc optimization options for Pentium 200 M

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Reinier Bezuidenhout wrote:

> Hi ..
>
> I agree that optimizations are most of the time "futile" :) .. so is
> resistance :) ... ina ny case .. I like to live on the edge .. that is
> why I'm running 5.0-current .. and I've compiled the following things
> with optimizations.
>
> o The whole source tree .. including my kernel
> o XFree86
> o KDE 1.1.2
>
> And most of the other ports I've installed ... like vmware, kdevelop etc.
> to name but a few ...
>
> And again ... I know I am taking a risk .. but I've been running this system
> for about 6 months now ... and I haven't even seen one panic or core which
> is "unexplained" due to bad code generation.
>
> Just once again .. YRS I know gcc generates bad code sometime and
> optimizations isn't the way to go ... but it works for me .. for now :)
>
> The optimizations I'm using ....
>
> In /etc/make.conf
>
> CFLAGS= -O6 -mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -pipe -s -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math
>
> COPTFLAGS= -O6 -mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -pipe -s -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math

Thanx, that kind an answer I was looking forward.  One question however:
how did you come up to exactly this set of options, by trial and error, or
just figured out from reading mans and whatever that this is the best set
of options?

Cheers,

  /* Alexey N. Dokuchaev, more commonly   |                                */
  /* known as DAN Fe                      | mailto:danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru   */
  /*                                      | ICQ UIN: 38934845              */
  /* Novosibirsk State University         | http://inet.ssc.nsu.ru/~danfe/ */
  /* Scientific Study Center Computer Lab |                                */

		[Team Assembler] [Team BSD] [Team DooM] [Team Quake]

Microsoft:	Where do you want to go today?
Linux:		Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD:	Are you guys coming or what?

Microsoft:	What are we going to rip off today and claim as our own?

Microsoft:	Where do you want to be taken today?