Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:37:22 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org, vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl>
Subject:   Re: kern/148741: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300

On 27.11.2012 21:23, Yuri wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 08:46, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> I haven't removed support for model-specific hacks, even moved them
>> into separate file to make easier to handle them. If there is so much
>> interest to this specific model, I don't mind to add it. But first we
>> have to clean up the problem. Provided hints look more like
>> inconsistent combination of hints from different systems. So at first
>> we should find out which of these lines are really useful and why.
>> Vermaden, could you do some binary search and upload somewhere verbose
>> dmesg output for better understanding of the situation.
>
> I had experience with hda devices on FreeBSD 3 times, and they proved
> spooky.
> * On Lenovo S10-2 it's not obvious how to set up microphone. Microphone
> in mixer is up and there is audible signal coming out of speakers from
> the microphone, but signal doesn't go to pcm input, and skype for
> example doesn't transmit the voice. I remember I was able to fix the
> problem manipulating the mixer channels, but it wasn't an obvious fix,
> and had to be written down on sticker accompanying the netbook. It
> wasn't just "click the Record check box".

During last driver rewrite on spring I've made the HDA driver try to
automatically choose best available recording source and levels. It
should help recording to work out of the box.

> * Lenovo ThinkPad T60 also had some sound issues with sound (Intel
> Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
> (rev 01)). Sound just didn't play out of the box. However I don't have
> BSD on it now.

AC'97 is absolutely different beast. It is so old that I have no plans
to spend my time on fixing it.

> * Desktop with Asus P6T has on-board hda device (Intel 82801JI HDA
> Controller), and when the sound is playing with the default setup,
> signal comes from the sound socket on the back of computer, not from the
> front one. How to make it play on the front? I am sure it is possible
> with some device hints.

Often desktops board configure front connectors as separate audio
device, that is exactly supported by the HDA driver. Now you have to
choose it manually as playback/record source in your application or make
it the default sound device system-wide. I am working now on making that
more automatic.

> I think it makes sense to have the handbook section under Audio
> dedicated to such devices that usually aren't obviously easy to set up.
> Brief explanation why the problems arise and whet is the normal way of
> fixing them would be great. And I imagine someone like Alexander who is
> an expert in this area would be the perfect candidate to write such
> section.

I've written many technical details in snd_hda manual page, but as usual
in such cases, the more I am writing, the less people can understand it.
If somebody can explain these things in some easy way -- welcome.

--
Alexander Motin