Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:48:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/UPDATING

: * Bill Fenner's code to make ipfw/dummynet/bridge KLD'able
:
:   BOTH THESE THINGS REQUIRES REBUILDING OF ipfw.ko and /sbin/ipfw
:
:I am not sure if that should be added to UPDATING. After all, it was not
:added to -CURRENT's /usr/src/UPDATING neither ;-)
:
:  Regards,
:  JMA
:--

    Whenever ipfw changes people who update their kernel and do not reinstall
    world (or at leaset the ipfw binary) often wind up with unaccessible
    machines when they reboot, because /etc/rc* cannot load the IPFW rule
    set.

    It's happened to me many, many times.  It's extremely annoying.   An
    UPDATING entry is the minimum that should be added.  It would also be
    nice if the system detected out-of-date IPFW's (like maybe adding a
    version field to the 'rule' structure) so ipfw could request a 'safe'
    mode of operation or something.  I don't know.  But it's getting really
    annoying.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>