Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 11:59:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd-hackers-digest V4 #299

>     like to volunteer.  Over the past few months I can't count the times I
>     have wished for better documentation (LKM -> KLD would be nice).
>     Just when I finish writing something someone changes the interface,

Yes, well, technical docs of this nature are definitely a job which
requires that someone actively keep it up to date or it becomes
rapidly worthless.  Nik Clayton has just taken over as the new
Documentation Project Manager (yea Nik!) and perhaps this is something
he'd be willing to give you some bootstrapping assistance with.  His
early docs on coming to grips with SGML are already quite good and I
imagine that the Docbook DTD could be used (or enhanced) to do
programmer's API documentation just as well as the Handbook.

>     depressing to joyfully congratulate myself for getting my first LKM
>     device driver to work, only to read five minutes later in Jordan's 3.0
>     announcement that LKM was dead.

Sorry about that.. . Is it at least some consolation that what it's
getting replaced with is a whole lot better? :)

>     Point me at what needs to be documented.  I am only one person, but
/usr/src/sys :-)

>     one person can make a huge difference to something like documentation
>     over a year.

Indeed!  I say go for it, by all means.  FreeBSD certainly lacks for
programmer's guides and that's a real shame.  We could do better.
Follow-ups to doc please, thanks.

- Jordan