Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:48:10 -0700
From:      Joe <j.harman@f5.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to read security advisories

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the =22Corrected=22 version strings in =
security advisories. =C2=A0Could you tell me (or point me to documentatio=
n about) what the =22-p=22 extensions mean=3F

=46or instance, in the =22How to read security advisories=22 page (http:/=
/www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/en=5FUS.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security-adviso=
ries.html), there is an example of a list of corrected builds, which cont=
ains several lines like =222003-09-23 20:08:42 UTC (RELENG=5F5=5F1, 5.1-R=
ELEASE-p6)=22

I understand what 5.1-RELEASE means, but I cannot find references for wha=
t the tailing =22-p6=22 means.

In this example, if I am running =46reeBSD 5.1, do I already have the fix=
=3F  How can I tell=3F  I have searched the web for the answer, as well (=
not easy when looking for =22-p=22), and have had no luck discovering wha=
t the -p extension means.  =20

Apologies if this is the wrong address to be sending this question to, bu=
t security advisories are the only place I've seen this notation, so I wa=
s hoping to get an explanation for it when I read the =22how to read=22 p=
age, but I didn't=E2=80=A6and the bottom of the page says to email this a=
ddress for questions about this document.

Could you point me in the right direction=3F

Thank you,

 - Joe Harman