Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:01:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "David Langford" <root@dihelix.com>, "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

> Just being curious, but why was the SGI port of doom done?
> No complaint on that- it gives me something to do with ours :)

I believe that SGI actually paid for it, or somehow sweetened the pot
significantly to make it happen.  Same with the Sun port.

> ID is one thing but if there is a company to go after right now, it
> looks like it should be Caldera.

Actually, NOT Caldera.  All the companies that Caldera has licensed
the technology from, that's who to go for! :-)

I talked with the Caldera folks for awhile at USENIX and their
attitude was sort of: "well, erm, you see we didn't actually write too
much of this desktop stuff ourselves - it's all licensed from people
like Visix, and we've only got permission to sell Linux versions."

So even though they'd like to expand their base, they really can't.
Most of Caldera is just rebadged 3rd party software with very definite
(and restrictive) licensing terms.  They've recommended that I talk to
the 3rd parties directly, and I've actually got a call into Visix as
of yesterday and am waiting for a call back.  I'll try again in the
afternoon if I don't hear anything.

					Jordan