Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:14:37 +0100
From:      "Nils Holland" <nh@tisys.org>
To:        "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hybrid Graphics

Warren Block wrote:

> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=20664&highlight=optimus

Great, so I'm not the only one! ;-)

I guess both of the GPUs I have in the machine would work fine by themselves
(they do under X11 under Linux, don't know about acceleration, because I
don't care too much about it). Furthermore, I've noticed that the Linux
folks have actually created a "linux-hybridgraphics" mailing list which
deals exactly with the problems I'm seeing, but (of course) from a Linux
standpoint. It seems that under Linux, at least one GPU works out of the
box, and that they have experimental code for switching between GPUs at
runtime (presumably while X11 isn't running, don't know).

I'm going to see and try what I can learn and do to enable this kind of
behavior under FreeBSD. Not that I'm the biggest kernel hacker, but I'm
hoping that this issue is easy enough for me. ;-)

Greetings,
Nils