Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:31:43 +0100
From:      "Chris J. Mutter" <cjm@terminal.sil.at>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 07:13:37PM -0500, Troy Settle wrote:
> >
> > Today, I had my first experience with Solaris.  Had to install and
> > configure it.
> >
> > This is like asking a rank-amature mac user to install and configure
> > Windows NT 3.51.  Solaris is a joke!

well had the same feeling at the begin but I got used to it and its not that
bad as everyone says.

> > The installation process asked for some networking stuff, but never
> > bothered to ask for a default route.  Had to put this in manually at
> > first, but later found out that you had to create /etc/defaultrouter (or
> > some such crap).  What a configuration scheme... one directive per file.
> > OUCH!
>
> The default configuration of a solaris box is kinda lame, but there are
> number of things like about it's installer over sysinstall.  I've found
> that the steepest part of the learning curve for Solaris is in the
> initial setup phase.  It's much easier if you have someone to ask about
> the quirks.
>
> > Then, I went to add a user.  This went ok, but when I went to use chpass
> > to edit the user information, I see that it's not in root's default path
> > (still haven't figured out where they have it).  Had to use vipw, which
> > pulled up some lame-ass GUI editor by default.  Talk about nasty.  I'd
> > rather use ee.
>
> I assume that GUI think was dtedit or something like it.  My first rule
> of surviving Solaris is don't run CDE.  In fact, don't run CDE is
> probably my first three rules. ;-)  Infact, if the box has work to do,
> running X is generally a bad idea without tons of RAM.  I've seen the X
> server hit more then 150MB on my Ultra 10.  Add that to netscape and
> staroffice with a powerpoint presentation open and you'll swap a 256MB
> system to death.

Well the good thing here is: Im using Solaris here as XDMlogin server and
have to admit that Ive never seen a system running so smooth with 236megs
of real RAM and half a gig of swapspace in use than this one. I swaps a lot
but you dont _feel_ that it is swapping... and its a quite cheap intel box
with pretty slow and old 2gig scsi drives. Seems the VM-subsystem really
rocks. I would use FreeBSD for this whole task if there would be some
official Java support for other OSes than Solaris/NT. Java on Linux/BSD
is pretty useless.

> > Can anyone tell me just how the hell Sun manages to sell this crap?  Or
> > are people addicted to the hardware, and suffer the OS for that reason?
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > I'd just as soon trade this thing in for a beefy FreeBSD box (or even
> > NT!), but the software we gotta run is only for Solaris.
>
> It's frankly not that bad.  The big hardware is very nice in a number of
> applications and once you're use to the OS it's not that hard to live
> with.  I'd certaintly take it over NT, and quite possiably over Linux,
> but I'd rather have an equivelently priced FreeBSD box built to my specs
> then the Ultra 10 in my office.

jup. never underestimate a Sun-Boot-PROM .... *gg*
I dont use Sun hardware since they switched to PCI/PC-crap ... love the
IPC/IPX/SS1/2/5/SBus stuff.

later,
cjm
--