Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:22:35 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: kld screensavers

#define quoting(Kazutaka YOKOTA)
// >According to Doug Rabson:
// >> Thats more or less what I was suggesting.  Simple screen savers wouldn't
// >> even need an event handler.  Maybe something like:
// >[suggestion removed]
// >
// >While this is being discussed, I'd like to bring something up that I've
// >wanted for a long time, and brought up before. Why not make to so that
// >each screensaver register itself with a timeout, a priority and a flag
// >that says if it's fallthrough or not? That way you can have multiple
// >screensavers installed, and they get called as approriate.
// >
// >I haven't looked at the current code, I'm affraid, so go easy on me.
// >Example:
// >
// >Three screensavers:  (say default prio is 5)
// >
// >lock:     prio 1, 10 minutes, fallthrough  (Demands password to release screen
// >)
// >green:    prio 4, 20 minutes               (Turn screen off)
// >stars:    prio 5, 5 minutes                (Twinkle, twinkle, little star)
// [...]
//
// I am not sure if we want to have this kind of screen saver stack.  It
// will complicate things a lot: multiple saver module management,
// priority management, flag checking...  Is this worth the effort?

I would be happy enough with the green saver included as a second timer
(configurable by vidcontrol, off course) in every other saver.  It
must be easy to do.

Say:

5 minutes -> activate the daemon saver
more 5 minutes -> green power off

Maybe this should be extended to deal with the different green levels:
blank, snooze, power off, etc.  I don't know green enough to discuss
this.

BTW: Talking about decoupling video driver, the screen saver drawing
functions are decoupled from the video driver (assuming the last
propositions I've heard in this list), but the green shutdown would be
a internal function of the display device should it be a monitor, a
serial port, or even a printer, although green would probably mean
nothing on the laters.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro