Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:02:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        John Fox <john@fea.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.0

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, John Fox wrote:
>
> > Has anyone been able to get g++ 2.8 working in 2.2-stable?  I compiled
> > the compiler and libstdc++2.8 but exceptions don't work.  Any throw,
> > whether caught or not, causes the program to end with signal 6 and
> > print Abort trap.
>
> gcc requries massive hacking to work.  Check in on the -hackers mail
> archives for current progess; we're still working on it.

Well, you have two options.  One is to convert your system to elf, which
is not recommended at all, and requires a lot of hacking and piecing
together a somewhat outdated (but still very useful) elfkit, not fun.  The
elfkit should work with 2.2-stable, and does work fairly well with
-current.

The second option is to grab the egcs or gcc 2.8 port.  With C code
everything works fine, with C++ I've had much more mixed results.  The
newer egcs snapshots and the gcc 2.8 port, have a patch that will fix C
shared library problems, however, at least for me, C++ problems abound.
This is with my -current box. YMMV.

- alex

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.