Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:38:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: final call: VERSION variable

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> I haven't gotten much response.  Are people really okay with this?  It

Yes.

> A mandatory VERSION variable separate from DISTNAME/PKGNAME will be
> added, to have something like
>
> PORTNAME=	foo
> VERSION=	1.2

Ultimately we should have a PORTVERSION as well, which gets incremented
whenever someone makes a change to a port, e.g. fixing a bug with a patch,
enabling a new feature, etc. It would be reset to 1 whenever the distfile
version is increased. Ports could then depend on a specific FreeBSD
version of a port (e.g. we fix a bug in libfoo which was breaking the
mumble port), etc.

> I'm also thinking of changing the pkg_* tools to put package info into
> /var/db/pkg/${PORTNAME}/ver-${VERSION} (instead of the current
> /var/db/pkg/${PORTNAME}-${VERSION}) so we can have real upgrade
> support, but that's still in the future.

Also a good idea, except it should probably be +VERSION for consistency
(how would you look up the version except by searching the directory
entries for a match on ver-* and parsing it?)

Kris

----