Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI devices settling and illegal request

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Mark Nipper writes:
>  > 	Probably not.  For some reason, there's one SCSI
>  > connector on board for one of the NCR53C810's (seemingly),
>  > because the CD-ROM shows up on hose1 on a(n) NCR53C810 and it's
>  > plugged directly into this slot.  I could remove the NCR/DECchip
>
> Hmm.  What really matters is if the ncr/sym controller that the cdrom
> is connected to is a child of "MCPCIA PCI Adapter" 0 (pcib0).  This
> may be different than the SRM numbers things.  I dunno.
>
> I think I'll pass since I've never even seen one of these & defer to
> the platform's maintainer.

Uh, Andrew, that's you I thought?

> Matt?

I think the SYM diagnostics for the CDROM on SYM0 are irrelevant.

What we'd like to see is the complete system card topology. The 4.3 Alpha port
is quite fragile with respect to PCI cards with bridges and possibly even
multifunction cards. We're also trying to jam hose into a 32 bit space, and it
sometimes doesn't fit.

You mentioned a dual 53c875- is your root disk connected to this? Is nothing
connected to it?

I would suggest, to just get going, to pull all but the QLogic and a network
card out and install on a disk hung off the QLogic. If you can.

-matt