Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 17:40:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fbsd->linux->vmware->windoze,windoze slice,wine?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, A. L. Meyers wrote:

> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 15:30:43 +0200 (CEST)
> From: A. L. Meyers <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
> To: "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: fbsd->linux->vmware->windoze,windoze slice,wine?
>
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, P. U. (Uli) Kruppa wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, A. L. Meyers wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:45:03 +0200 (CEST)
> > > From: A. L. Meyers <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
> > > To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > > Subject: fbsd->linux->vmware->windoze,windoze slice,wine?
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Obligated to run windoze apps, e. g. accounting app. Options are:
> > >
> > > 1. windoze slice, use FBSD boot manager
> > >
> > > 2. windoze as guest OS under vmware under linux under fbsd
> > >
> > > 3. wine (still alpha, usable in a production environment?)
> > Do 1. and try 2. & 3. when you have got the time.
> >
> > Uli.
> >

> > > Accessing printer on /dev/lp0 from windoze app is a must.
> > >
> > > Would do you suggest, without any guarantees whatever :-) ?
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > Lucien
>
> Uli,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. Taking your advice leads to these
> questions:
>
> 1) Which FS to choose for the Windoze 98 slice if one wants to be
> able to mount it under FBSD to enable read and write data
> transfer between windoze and fbsd?
When you set up your dos-filesystem with fdisk you get two
alternatives - better do *not* select the one that supports
big FS which is recommended by (you will see what I mean, I
do not Know what it is called in english)
The old dos-filesystem is limited to 2 GB-partitions.

> 2) Depending on 1), what options should one include in the
> kernel?
None. You should set up Windows first (so it cannot
overwrite the Bootmanager) on the first partition of your
first harddrive. You can mount it from FreeBSD by

# mount_msdos /dev/ad0s1 /mnt

By the way:
Perhaps you will find Unix applications that can handle
Window's (for example StarOffice can do a lot with Word- or
Excel-documents). That works faster than any emulation.

Uli.