Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 1995 22:29:16 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stable panics while backup to ncr->DAT

> The NCR driver in FreeBSD-current has some fixes, that did not
> get applied to 2.1. Your best bet is to rebuild your 2.1 kernel
> with /sys/pci/ncr.c from FreeBSD-current for that reason ...

Ok, I tried the ncr.c from current. The kernel panic is gone for now, but I
got an error message an hour into the backup. According to my calculations it
should have been very close to finish. Here is the error message:

ncr0:6: ERROR (0:110) (8-28-0) (88/13) @ (1030:180003b0).
        script cmd = 88030000
	reg:     da 10 80 13 47 88 06 1f 03 08 86 28 00 60 00 00.
ncr0: have to clear fifos.
ncr0: handshake timeout
st0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f09ee800.
sd0(ncr0:0:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
sd0(ncr0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
, retries:4
st0(ncr0:6:0): 200ns (5 Mb/sec) offset 8.

> Please check your complete SCSI setup: Cables (length and
> quality) and terminators are the most common cause of the
> kind of problem you describe.

I will check that.
> You may want to try
>
> # ncrcontrol -s async
>
> to disable synchronous transfers for some tests.
>
> # ncrcontrol -s sync=4
>
> may be an even better test, since the NCR uses some glitch
> suppression logic when operating at synchronous transfer
> rates of up to 5MHz. (If I remember right, it can go beyond
> 5MHz doing asynchronous transfers!)
I will try these.

Thanks!

John