Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:38:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl libraries install in wrong place...

Maybe this belongs in ports, but it looks like the problem is actually
somewhere inside the Perl build, which I think means it belongs here.

Basically, some (all?) ports that install perl libraries want to
install them in /usr/local, without paying proper heed to
PREFIX. Things wind up in /usr/local, and I then get complaints about
missing files for them when I deinstall the port. Further,
${LOCALBASE}/lib/perl5 has no actual files in it - just
directories.

ImageMagick is one such port. A make install generates the following
output fragment:

Manifying blib/man3/Image::Magick.3
Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so
Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.bs
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture dependent library tree
Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/Image/Magick/autosplit.ix
Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/mach/Image/Magick.pm
Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/man/man3/Image::Magick.3
Writing /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/Image/Magick/.packlist

Even though LOCALBASE is set to /usr/opt in /etc/make.conf.

Only the Perl portion of the port does this, and Perl has magic that I
don't understand for doing such libraries. Since I don't find the
string /local/ in the Perl stuff, this makes me think it may be in the
Perl configuration, not the port.

Any help from someone who understands the perl package system would be
greatly appreciated.

	Thanx,
	<mike