Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:59:27 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Monday, 18 January 1999 at 14:06:31 -0600, Roger P. Johnson wrote:
> Like the subject line says, will FreeBSD ever fix their 2940U
> driver.

No.  It doesn't need fixing.

> I have had nothing but nightmares getting FreeBSD's 2940U, 2940AU,
> and 2940UW controllers to work in PC's that have, what, I believe
> the TX or LX chipset ???

You expect me to tell you?

> On newer PC's I can tell exactly what chipset the MB is, but on these older
> DEC PC's, Celebris 590's, I can't tell _exactly_ what chipset it is.

Then we can't help you.

> I get either "Read error" (which after a year found the problem and
> made a patch for so it boots like it should), or the controller card
> is reconized, but then times out. Ugh! Ugh!

Where are the real messages?

> What ticks me off is:
>         I have one 2940U from about 1996, and it works with FreeBSD!
>         I have one 2940AU from about 1997 and it works with FreeBSD!
>
> About 9 months ago, I bought 10 2940AU's, guess what? FreeBSD hangs
> and times out on boot.  (Would anyone like to buy 10 2940AU's cheap
> cheap cheap ?)

Sure.  How much do you want for them?

> Why does uh-em, Linux reconize and boot in the same machine ? No
> Read error, no time outs Why does NetBSD reconize and boot the same
> machine? No Read error, no time outs

I don't know.

> Don't even mention "termination" and all that crap. That's not the
> problem.

How do you know?  You haven't brought any evidence.

The fact is, people continually have trouble with SCSI.  You have
decided that your problems are FreeBSD's fault, but you haven't given
*any* details.  How do you expect us to fix a problem that, if it even
exists, obviously is very specific?  I'm using 2940*s on two different
machines, and it's probably the most popular SCSI host adapter in use.
The driver is not broken.

Greg