Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/20445: restore(8) -r and -R don't use mktemp(3)

The following reply was made to PR bin/20445; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc: Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@eecs.berkeley.edu>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 11:01:10 -0700

 Aha, I found out why and I didnt even have to talk to Luke yet! =)

 From the NetBSD restore(8) manpage:

      The temporary files /tmp/rstdir* and /tmp/rstmode* are generated with a
      unique name based on the date of the dump and the process ID (see
      mktemp(3)),  except for when -r or -R is used.  Because -R allows you to
      restart a -r operation that may have been interrupted, the temporary
      files should be the same across different processes.  In all other cases,
      the files are unique because it is possible to have two different dumps
      started at the same time, and separate operations shouldn't conflict with
      each other.

 I found this while going through the NetBSD cvsweb stuff where I found
 revision 1.20 of dirs.c and traced my way to the man page.

     http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/basesrc/sbin/restore/dirs.c

 Now this makes sense.  It's still annoying, but it makes sense.  Perhaps
 restore(8) needs a flag to say "screw this, use mkstemp!" if the operator
 so desires.  Or a way to save the names of the files for later use.

 --Jon