Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:22:40 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        abial@nask.pl, jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make release fails because kernel is too large

>> Does anybody have an idea of what we can take out?  It seems likely
>> that when CAM comes in, it will further expand the kernel.  And CAM
>> definitely needs to come in.
>
>Perhaps with the advent of CAM boot floppies we should also use DEVFS,
>which would allow for saving ca. 50kB on inodes' space.

More like -15K (e.g., +5K savings for compressed inodes' space -10K for
compressed code to register devfs names, and -10K for compressed code
for devfs itself).

The 2.2 boot floppy has 45K for metadata in the uncompressed (boot) file
system.  Of this, 12K is very easy to save using `newfs -i large' to
reduce the inodes' space from 16K to 4K.

Bruce