Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:02:36 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Boris Hollas <boris.hollas@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Platform.getOS() on FreeBSD

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 07:47:50PM +0200, Boris Hollas wrote:

> (see http://ocaml.eclipse.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=216).
>
> Now everything seems to work.
>
> My questions:
> - Does Platform.OS_FREEBSD return Platform.getOS() only in the Eclipse
> version created by the FreeBSD-Eclipse team
>   or is this built into Eclipse by default?

I'll assume you mean:  Does Platform.getOS() return Platform.OS_FREEBSD
in which case I suspect so.

> - If the former is true, is os.equals(Platform.OS_FREEBSD) portable code
> or will it produce a compiler error on non-FreeBSD systems?

Probably not, since FreeBSD's port patches
/org.eclipse.core.runtime/src/org/eclipse/core/runtime/Platform.java
to add OS_FREEBSD.

> - Do the Eclipse developers know about the problem?

Probably not.  We should try to push our patches upstream, but no one seems
to have time to do so.

> - What should I suggest to the OcaIDE developers to ensure portability of
> the plugin's code?

Use reflection-- check if the field Platform.OS_FREEBSD exists, *or* scan
through what Platform.knownOSValues() returns for the string "freebsd".

-- Rick C. Petty