Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 23:54:35 -0700
From:      Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   How safe is NULLFS?

Hi, I'd like to use NULLFS for a project I'm doing.  The manpage for
mount_null has...
BUGS
   THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
   AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
   RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

I was wondering how dangerous this really is.  If I'm using it to mount
part of my filesystem as read-only is there still a chance of harm to my
system?   Should I just get another hard drive and majorly partition it
so I can get all the mounts where I want them and mount that drive
read-only everywhere needed?   Basicly I'm trying to create a chrooted
copy of the base freebsd install which can be modified but while still
having the original copy.  I guess what I want to do is mix NULLFS and
UNION together.

Thanks,

Michael