Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:10:01 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDROM mount problems!

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Ted Sikora wrote:

> >From day one (several years now) I have always had trouble with cdroms
> in FreeBSD. Everytime I try to mount one(at least 95% of the time) they
> fail to mount. For instance I have the new Corel Linux(eyuk!) in the
> drive now a # mount /dev/acd0a /cdrom yields  a  mount: /dev/acd0a on
> /cdrom: incorrect super block  error.

This is better suited to -questions (redirected).

> No matter what machine I use it's the same. I have the cdrom set up the
> same as the GENERIC conf script. Have I missed something.

Yes! The type of the filesystem on the CDROM! CDROMs are usually formatted
in ISO-9660. You asked to mount a ufs filesystem. The error you got simply
indicates that mount didn't find a ufs system on the media. No wander. Try
adding -t cd9660 to the mount command:

mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

> It's time to fix this once and for all. Could it be my drives?

Indeed. To fix this once and for all, add an appropriate line to
/etc/fstab. Then mount will know the type of the filesystem it should
expect automagicaly. man 5 fstab.

Well, this is a FAQ! A search for your error message on www.freebsd.org
turned out this page: http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/troubleshoot.html

> pretty much given up on it. I just mount a cdrom via the network on a
> different machine when I need it.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Ted Sikora