Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:35:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB ethernet hacking

Julian Elischer writes:

| On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Bill Paul wrote:
| > >
| > >  We just copied the data from the mbuf into a dedicated
| > > buffer and freed the mbuff immediatly.
| >
| > Did you just allocate a buffer with malloc() (or contigmalloc()), or
| > did you use usbd_alloc_buffer()?
|
| ummm I don't have the driver with me here.
|
| Doug Ambrisko has is so we'll send it to you as soon as he reads this I
| guess.

Technical note, device only has an internal 15*64 (960) byte buffer.  1500
MTU's work fine and no performance hit over a 900 byte MTU.  We just let
the USB stack do what it has to do, we only talk to it in complete
ethernet packets.

	http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/udbp.tgz

From the README:

Apply the patch relative /usr/src

Add udbp to kernel or do kld thing.

Once the device is up use ngctl (netgraph control) to connect it to an
interface (this could be done via usbd.conf).

        ngctl connect udbp0: ng0: data inet
                || ngctl mkpeer udbp0: iface data inet
        ifconfig ng0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2

Works with Anchor EzLink and with minor change should support NetChip
devices.  You will have to add the device & vendor id info.

Nick gave us the raw USB code, Julian supplied the netgraph code
and I helped bug fix and bridge the gaps.

Doug A.