Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:08:23 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Rob Evers <rob@debank.tv>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libtool library

Rob Evers wrote:

> What's the policy on installing .la files of ported software. I thought
> to remember it's prefered not to install these. Ist this correct and
> why ?

The current `official' policy is not to install .la files
because they have been considered useless. Many developers
consider this policy to be wrong since in some cases they
are required.

Personally I would avoid installing them until you know
of a client that uses them, but I'm sure there will be
follow-ups with different recommendations.

-Oliver