Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 00:49:28 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        otter@tig.com.au, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very basic questions...

At 11:17 10-05-1999 +1000, otter@tig.com.au wrote:
>	I was wondering if someone can give me a bit of a pointer, FreeBSD is a
>Unix like system, right?

It is not Unix like, it is Unix. Unix comes in several flavors, one of
which is BSD (Berkeley Software Development). When BSD stopped developing
their flavor of Unix, several other groups continued their work. FreeBSD is
one of those groups. So, there is a continuity, hence FreeBSd is Unix.

>Means I have to use Unix type commands to work the thing?

Yes. But you can alias many of them if you are used to DOS commands. Unix
is very flexible.

>  I have nfi re Unix, and GNULinux seems to cost a fortune although
>it is quite trendy these days.

Linux does not cost a fortune, it is free.

>	I was hoping there'd be a really easy way out of stumbling along
>ignorantly, perhaps I can run X-Windows under BSD and still use all my old
>apps while I'm learning the foibles of the new OS....

If by old apps you mean MS Windows apps, no, they will not run under X
unless they were ported (some were).

>	What's the best way to format the start menu so the thing boots to BSD
>unless I tell it otherwise?

It remembers what you booted last time. If you boot FreeBSD, and then
reboot without pressing F1 (or whichever key it uses for the other OS), it
will automatically choose FreeBSD. If the last thing you booted was DOS, it
will automatically choose DOS unless you press F5.

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/