Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 23:19:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: installing on a thinkpad 750

Disclaimer: i've never seen a Thinkpad, nor do i have any clue what it
might be...

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Doesn't it accept the console driver's setting of the old scan code mode?
>
> Not according to Joerg's message.

There are several ways to operate the keyboard in ``old scan mode'':

. On any AT-style machine, setting the translation bit somewhere in
  the kbd controller should do the trick.  (I'm too lazy to look into
  the Gilluwe no to tell you what's the exact location.)  This is what
  pccons/syscons/pcvt are doing (for pcvt, only when operating in
  scan set 1).

  Perhaps this is broken on the Thinkpad.

. On an MF-II keyboard, you could instruct the keyboard (not the ctrlr)
  to emit key sequences for either scan set 1, 2, or 3.  Unfortunately,
  this feature apparently does not apply to a reasonable number of the
  keyboards floating around (and nobody guarantees you that any available
  keyboard will even be able to emit scan set 2 sequences), hence pcvt
  does _not_ use scan set 2 as _default_.  However, i'm personally always
  using scan set 2, so i can assure you that it will work with any pcvt
  release.  (I'm doing this out of personal idleness only. :-)

However, even pcvt uses the first method to fall back to ``PC'' scan
code mode, and all the currently working X servers rely on this.  So i
guess it's impossible to run X on a thinkpad.  (see my disclaimer
though...)

Of course, now that we have pcvt in the regular source, we can easily
make a kernel running with scan set 2, so the Thinkpad users will at
least have a starting point.
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/