Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 1995 09:28:42 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        terryl@CS.Stanford.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Binary compatibility with NetBSD

> All bets are off anyway.  The runtime combination of a foreign application
> and foreign shared libries is not very different from the same foreign
> application linked statically.  Foreign syscalls, foreign ioctls, foreign
> database, ... won't work in either case.

Well, compatability on these levels is something we should still be
striving for.  Compatible syscalls (or specialized tables loaded in when
NetBSD/BSDI binaries are run), ioctls, etc.

Becoming incompatible with BSDI would be a serious mistake.  I'm not
all that worried about being compatible with NetBSD (it's a goal, just
a much lower priority one) since they don't really have many (or any)
applications we're interested in running.  The same is most definitely
not true of BSDI.   I don't know what I'd do without my netscape! :-)

					Jordan