Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 07:21:45 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolver behaviour

Tony Kimball wrote in message ID
<13930.17883.922553.625725@avalon.east>:
> Frankly, the current behaviour is just plain broken:  Bum nameservers
> too often prevent FreeBSD applications from connecting to extant
> hosts on the Internet.

If the local nameserver is bum, then that suggests a local administrative
failure, does it not? This is exactly the situation you are describing ... the
local nameserver that the resolver contacts cannot find the information it is
looking for. If, on the other hand, the local nameserver cannot find
authoratitive information from a *NON-LOCALLY* hosted zone, then that is a
failure which no ammout of hackery in libc will be able to overcome because in
all likelyhood the data you are looking for just *doesn't* exist, because of a
remote administrative failure. Slowing down the applications acceptance of
that fact will do nothing to help our users impression of FreeBSD (``It takes
5 times as long for freebsd to tell me a host doesn't exist as it does for
linux ... why? YOU SUCK!!!''). I can tell you right now, that apart from the
*VERY* rare of case of poisoned DNS cache, if you did this change in the
environment I run at work, that is *exactly* what would happen. We'd have
sendmail processes hanging around `n' times longer than they should have,
because our nameserver setup *works*. Going to a different nameserver will get
you exactly the same answer. It would surprise me that in the majority of the
situations out there that there would be a significant number of cases where
your change would help any.

> : My guess is
> : problems arise from doing lookups on `internal' addresses on `external'
> : nameservers?
>
> This is one source of problems, but there are others.  Again, the DNS
> environment on the Internet as a whole is very poor.

No, I think you are trying to fix the wrong problem here. bind is very good
about handling internet failures in general. Its not libresolv's job to try
and second guess what bind is doing. I say again: your nameserver setup is
broken. You are really confusing the work that bind does with the work that
libresolv does.

> I think this is only desirable if there exists a network which depends
> upon the firewall for nameservice; otherwise, it is a *kludge* to work
> around a bug in gethostby*!

Perhaps you are suggesting a kludge in gethostby* to work around a broken
setup? Thats sure the way it reads to me.

> But this only pushes the problem out one level, to named.

I don't follow. You tell named that data for `x' is found on `x's namesevrer,
and data for everything else is found on `y's nameserver, and it works. Thats
how named is designed to work! It is *not* how libresolv is designed to work!

> Archie's patch then fixes the problem.  (I'd like to see that patch in
> current!)

If it goes in -current, then it had better be off by default. I firmly believe
that this is a negatively impacting change for the majority of freebsd users
out there. Make your appeals to the core team if you like, but I don't think
that they'll be any more supportive of this change than I am.

Gary