Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 04:03:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        wsantee@wsantee.oz.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org

> > Did I miss something?  Looks like the SUP server has been down pretty
> > much all day.  If this was a 'scheduled outage' then I guess everybody
> > gets to laugh at me and I'll go back and read all my e-mail.  If not,
> > anybody know what the problem is?
>
> You missed something, have you been reading your -current and -commit
> mailling lists????

I've been noticing very long delays lately between the time a message
is posted to any of the freebsd-* lists and the time it makes it back
to my mail machine.  Checking the headers on your message about sup
being disabled shows a delay of 8 hours between the time you sent
the message and the time it got into my mailbox (and that machine is up
24 hours a day, and looking through my mail today shows that it has
been receiving mail regularly all day), so this guy could very well have
read all his mail and still not seen anything.

I regularly receive responses to my messages hours before my original
message makes it back to me.  Is it really taking that long to process
everyone on the mailing list during the first pass over the message,
or is sendmail giving up and queueing the message for a few hours
before finishing the first pass over the message?
--
Mike Pritchard
pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu