Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:48:58 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        AikiZen <aikizen@ovh.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audiophile sound on FreeBSD ?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:42:42 +0200, AikiZen wrote:
> I would like know if FreeBSD can used for audiophile listening and
> composing ? I am a music player and i would like listen with the best
> quality are possible and record me with my guitar.

Even though sophisticated Linux distributions like Ubuntu Studio
or KXStudio offer great software solutions for audio as well as
good hardware support, FreeBSD can be utilized as well, because
it is a multi-purpose OS. You still have to choose your hardware
wisely to make sure it will fully support the OS. Many applications
not available natively for FreeBSD can be used with its Linux ABI.

I've been using FreeBSD for my (more or less simple) music
applications, without any problems. I've been using a CMI-based
sound card (PCI) and my own homemade guitar pickup amplifiers, PA,
and connectors to tape recorder equipment. However, I have not
tried to get MIDI working - the last time I saw working MIDI was
at a time where Atari ST was considered a professional platform
for musicians... ;-)

> I would like know if FreeBSD give a better audio experience than
> GNU/Linux.

It's probably not such a matter of the OS as it is of the hardware
and the peripherials. Oh, and compression also matters a lot:
MP3 with maximum PCM-like compression just sounds terrible on
_any_ OS. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany