Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 13:34:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processes -will- -not- die!

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Drew Morone wrote:
> > For some reason, some of the user apps on my system will get hung, and
> > won't die when somebody exits unceremoniously. I of course have to go in
> > and kill the process, which proceeds to suck up all of the CPU. This
> > seems to happen most with "pine" and "tin", but will happen with other
> > software as well.
>
> I have also seen this problem.  One case where dialup shell users
> get cut off while running pine and the other where local XTerm users
> close the xterm w/o exiting Pine.  Both result in pine hanging in
> a cpu-eating loop.
>
> Annoying but doesn't really hurt much.

Really annoying, IMHO...  I have patches for Pine 3.91 that I could send
that solves these hangs -- one patch for ttyin.c that I received from
someone else on the net, and a patch to signal.c that avoids a problem
where Pine can get a SIGSEGV in its interrupt handler (and its interupt
handler was handling SIGSEGV's, resulting in an amusing loop).  I haven't
tracked down where why Pine is getting a SIGSEGV, since users haven't
complained, but I think it is related to reading news via NNTP with Pine.

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu