Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:34:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        matt@braithwaite.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  STRIP (was Re: richochet modems)

I wrote my own StarMode driver for FreeBSD in the Fall of 1997. It's
been available at:

	http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~karp/humr.tar.gz

since then.

My StarMode code, HUMR, is superior to STRIP in that it requires *no*
hardwired database of IP-to-MAC address mappings--that is, it allows users
who don't know each other's MAC addresses to power up near one another and
*dynamically* discover the required ARP entries. In essence, HUMR implements
ARP over the non-broadcast Metricom medium.

John-Mark Gurney has my code, and was looking at committing it to FreeBSD a
while back, but I never heard from him in the end.

John-Mark: what's the status of this? If he's swamped, anyone else want to
take up reviewing my code for commit??

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu