Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:39:08 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:
> >
> > > Just wanted to mention that I finally upgraded my box at home to SCSI..
> > > The main thing that was holding me back before was that I needed to
> > > replace my VLB IDE card with a plain old ISA one because you can only have
> > > 2 VLB cards on a motherboard, not three (thanks to Joerg for pointing this
> > > out!).  Now I've got a Quantum Lightning 730MB SCSI in there, and the
> >
> > Why not? Do you really want to say it was just a joke on the
> > manufacturer's part to put *three* VLB slots on the motherboards?
> yes, more or less.
>
> Only very carefully selected combinations can run with all three slots
> populated, and only seldom at full speed.

OK. Most implementations do restrict the population of the VLB slots,
most notably with max 2 bus-masters. Still, a configuration with a VLB
GUI accelerator, a VLB IDE and a SCSI busmaster should work in most
cases. But of course, it may not.

Just in addition to that and a bit off the course - I saw an ad for a
combined SCSI/IDE/floppy/IO VLB controller lately. I not sure about
FreeBSD support for such a beast (actually, it sounds something like no),
but such a thing could be a thing to boost many not so old machines made
pefore the PCI which happen to have just two VLB slots. Not much perhaps
- but sometimes it counts.

> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
> http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
> whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
> Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.

	Sander