Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:02:39 -0700
From:      Denver Maddux <denver@nitrous.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell C800 experience

Hi guys.

I was recently given the ownership of a new Dell Latitude C800... the
newest in their line of Latitudes.  It's a pretty schwanky looking
piece of mobile hardware, with a big screen, nice design, and
seemingly good components:

PIII 850MHz
32GB HD
512MB RAM
32MB AGP ATI Mobility-M4 video
Maestro 3i sound system
2 USB ports
Firewire port
1400x1050 res. capable screen
goober AND touchpad mouse on the same keyboard
Mini-PCI 3com 556b 56k modem+ 10/100 nic built in
CD-RW in side ultra bay
floppy in front ultra bay
2 cooling fans on the back
and with both batteries in and fully charged you get nearly 12 hours of power).

All in all a pretty nice laptop, but pricy.

I first tried installing FreeBSD 4.2 on this laptop from the standard
boot floppies.  Upon boot, the laptop would hang (three fingered
salute would reboot the laptop gracefully) as it tried to bring up the
PCIC device.  Seemingly, this was because the PCIC device wasn't being
assigned an IRQ (thought it should have been getting IRQ 10).

I dl'd some 4.1.1 floppy images and booted off of those just fine.  I
changed my install options to grab 4.2 and installed... but the
GENERIC kernel would not boot the laptop (same issue as booting from
the 4.2 install floppies).  Reinstalling 4.1.1 gave me a working
system, from which I cvsup'd 4.2-STABLE and did a make world and built
a custom kernel.

The system is working with a few caveats at this time.

1/ The Mini-PCI devices cannot be enabled in the BIOS.  For some
   reason their being active causes problems for PCMCIA services and
   cards fail to be recognized and configured.  Disabling the Mini-PCI
   interfaces fixes this.  I haven't delved further into this as of
   yet to find the root cause.

2/ Resume does not work properly on this laptop.  For some reason I
   device at0 timeouts, and right as the system is about to become
   active again from suspend, it hangs and will not reboot gracefully.

3/ No X support for the video chipset yet.  The Mobility-M4 is not as
   of yet supported by XFree or XIG.  I am loaning the laptop to XIG
   for a while for them to build drivers for this chipset.  They are
   saying that they should be done sometime in January with them.

4/ No sound support...

Other than that, the USB ports seem to work fine, shutdown -p works,
the dual goober/touchpad mouse thingy seems to work just fine, etc.
This is a seriously nice laptop for anyone that is looking for
something not so small (or a desktop type replacement).  I'll be sans
C800 in a couple of days as it gets shipped to XIG, but I can work on
this more until then.  I'm sure there are holes in my report but I
wanted to get this out while it was somewhat fresh in my mind.

Any questions, drop them my way.

-Denver