Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:07:07 -0800
From:      "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is my -current system Hard Locking?

--On Tuesday, November 05, 2002 9:55 AM -0500 Andrew Gallatin
<gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Joel M. Baldwin writes:
>
> <...>
>  > don't think this is related to the X FP problem ( although I am
>  > running X11 ).  There have been many times when I'd walk in the
> <...>
>  > options         DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
> <...>
>
> Its likley you are panic'ing in X, and the system is waiting at the
> ddb prompt.  But you can't see it or do anything, since X has control
> of the graphics and kbd, so it looks like the machine is frozen.
>
> Try adding options DDB_UNATTENDED  to your config.  Or just do
> sysctl  debug.debugger_on_panic=0
>
> Both of these have the same effect: they will prevent ddb from
> stopping the panic.  Make sure you have a dump device setup to
> capture a crashdump.
>
> Drew

This sounds good, but isn't it.  X doesn't have control of the graphics
and kbd on my system.  Only xdm and clients are running, the server is
on another system.  When panics happen ( and they have ) I get the
message on the screen.

Also this problem has been happening both with X running and not.

Just in case I'll go ahead and try your suggestion but . . .

Any other suggestions?