Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:54:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@star-gate.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: digital audio extraction from CD-ROM via SCSI

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 	Not sure about Unix but under Win95, you can use Active Movie that
> > comes with MSIE 3.0.  Other products you can try are VMPEG and SoftPeg
> > <http://www.compcore.com>, CDI and VideoCD's have the MPEG formatted files
> > in the MPEGAV directory under the *.DAT extension.  Let me know if you are
> > having any trouble with any of those software.
>
> Thanks, I'll check 'em out.  I've been net searching for MPEG, but
> most search engines turn up more hits on R rated MPEG movie sites than
> anything else. :-)

	Hmmm, R rated MPEG? :-)  Check the multimedia FAQ on the
multimedia newsgroups, that should explain things better.

> Also, I do have SoftPeg and Active Movie (the former came with my
> Matrox Millenium card and the later, as you say, with MSIE 3.0) and
> neither of them seem to have any way of specifying that they should
> get their bits from the CDROM drive.  I've tried, and they keep
> insisting on an actual filename.

	Oh, when you do try the actual filename, does it open the file at
all?  SoftPeg can play VideoCD's 1.0 and 2.0 but what version of Win95 are
you using?  The original or OEM Service Release 2?  The original even with
the Service Pack 1 doesn't support green-book CD-i's and is a known
Microsoft bug.  Win3.1 does but Win95 doesn't.

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin